2008年2月27日水曜日

Name in Japan

I would like to introduce something describe Name in Japan.

There are something describe our own name.
I'll give two examples.



First is Hyousatsu. Most of house has Name plate. We call it hyousatsu.
Hyousatsu shows us Family name.
Sometimes we can see family name in English in Japan, however kanji style is common.






Second example is name hanko, it means seal in English.
hanko is very important for our daily life.
hanko are devided from several types.
When we receive home-delivery service, we sign or put a seal.
We use Mitome-in in such this situation.
This type of hanko is very cheap, you can buy only 100 yen.
However ginkou-in is very expensive.
This is also one of the type of hanko.
When you establish bank account, you need this type of hanko.
Many of them are handmade in case someone forge.
These hanko is very important our daily life.

1 件のコメント:

visual gonthros さんのコメント...

This was an interesting idea for a post. I would like to read more, especially about the name plates outside of Japanese homes. Why are some in English? Do people who live in apartments have name plates? With the recent concern for privacy in Japan, what do people think about having their names posted in front of their house?

The hanko information is useful as well. I think students would like to know more. Why use a name seal instead of a signature? I wonder if people not familiar with buying 100 yen hankos would understand your second photo. You probably need to explain what your photos show a bit more.

-scf